Sultan’s Gems is a simple Match 3 game in which the player tries to achieve a high score within a certain number of moves by matching similar pieces. The project was created for educational purposes as part of James’ #GameInAWeek challenge and is released freely under an MIT license. It may be of interest to those looking for a starting point in creating a Match 3 game in Unity for mobile. Source
- Level data is stored as customs assets. Board shape, pieces to initially place, points per stone and which stones are valid can all be assigned in the editor.
- Modular approach in which new levels can easily be added.
- Player data is saved to disk (via Binary Serialization).
- Localization is incorporated throughout.
- Optimized assets (Sprite Packer).
- iOS Launch Screen.
- A complete write-up of the game design can be found in GameDesignDocument.pdf.
The game can be played in the browser here.
Although the match 3 market is over saturated and these games require considerable amount of game balancing, from an implementation point of view, Sultan’s Gems is is a simple yet functioning match 3 game. This prototype could easily be extended to form a full game.